Saturday, September 1, 2012

cheese muffins


Here's a tip... if you intend to bake cheese muffins, you should use cream cheese instead of sliced cheddar cheese.


When I first baked a batch of cheese muffins, I added sliced cheddar cheese (cut into small pieces).  The cheese did not melt during the baking process and I could taste the hard bits of the cheese when I bit into the muffin.


I wised up for the second attempt and I used Laughing Cow cheese, broken into small pieces.  When I bit into the baked muffin, I could taste the softness of the cheese.


The muffin remained soft even when I ate one in the evening of the next day.


INGREDIENTS

375g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
90g butter (softened)
220g castor sugar
310ml low fat milk
1 egg (at room temperature)
4 wedges of Laughing Cow cream cheese


METHOD

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Line the muffin pan with paper cases.  Set aside.

3. Sift the self-raising flour and the ground cinnamon in a bowl.  Set aside.

4. Whisk the butter and sugar using a hand whisk until light and fluffy.  Add the milk and eggs and mix well.

5. Add the cheese and stir well.

6. Fold in the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon and stir until just blended.  Do not overstir.

7. Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin pan.

8. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean .

9. Remove the muffins from the muffin pan and let cool on a wire rack before storing.

TIP #1

I prefer to fill the muffin cases until almost full so that when the muffin is baked, the muffin will rise above the paper case.


TIP #2

This muffin goes well with a hot cup of coffee.  Bon appetit!


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin