Sunday, October 11, 2009

walnut biscuits

I had initially wanted to bake some biscotti. However, this would require egg white and I was not planning to bake any bread (otherwise I could have used the egg yolk to glaze the bread before baking). As such, I decided to bake walnut biscuits instead.

The difficulty I have with this recipe is that you will need a sharp knife to slice the biscuits thinly. No matter how much I sharpen my knifes, they never seem to be sharp enough. As such, I ended up with some biscuits that were a little "out of shape". Not to worry - the taste was not compromised. *grin*

INGREDIENTS

80g walnuts
270g cake flour
1/2 cup ground peanuts
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
130g butter (softened)
100g brown sugar
1 egg

METHOD

1. Soak the walnuts in warm water for 20 minutes. Thereafter, drain off the water.

2. Sift the cake flour, ground peanuts and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Add the drained walnuts and mix well. Set aside.

3. Using the electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well.

4. Fold in the flour mixture and mix to a dough.

5. Place the dough in an 8" x 5" loaf pan and spread evenly. Refrigerate until hardened.

6. Cut the dough into thin slices (about 5 mm thick) and bake at 170 degrees celsius for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.

7. Let the biscuits cool thoroughly before storing them in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin