Monday, November 16, 2009

banana cookies

Da and I had two remaining overripe large bananas at home. I wanted to try something different (instead of the usual banana muffin, etc) and I surfed the internet for recipes. I had in mind to bake some cookies using the bananas although I have to admit that I have not come across banana cookies before. There is always a first time for everything, isn't it?

As it turned out, I came across a recipe for banana cookies in Simply Recipes. After I made a batch of cookies using the recipe that I found, I have made some modifications to the recipe. This is because my family and I prefer crunchy cookies instead of chewy cookies. The secret to crunchy cookies is the inclusion of corn flour, something that is not common in Western cookie recipes.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground mixed spice
125g butter (softened)
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp banana essence
2 large bananas (mashed)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.

2. Sift the plain flour, corn flour, salt and mixed spice in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Cream the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Add the mashed bananas and banana essence and mix until smooth.

4. Fold in the flour mixture and add the chopped nuts. Stir using a wooden spatula until evenly mixed.

5. Place by spoonfuls onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.

6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin