Thursday, October 27, 2011

chocolate chip cupcake

The chocolate chip cupcake that you see in this post nearly did not materialise. It was one of those times that I kept having "inspiration" at the last minute and I added ingredients during the preparation process.

I had intended to bake some mixed fruit cupcakes. As I rummaged through my larder, I found some Hersheys semi-sweet chocolate chips (equivalent to about 1 1/2 cups) and I changed my mind and decided to bake chocolate chip cupcakes instead.

Wanting a bit of variety, I decided to add some cocoa powder to the plain flour so as to make the cupcake itself chocolatey.

At the last minute, I made a decision to use low-fat milk as the liquid for the cupcake.

Thank goodness the cupcake turned out fine! Had it been a disaster, it would have been such a terrible waste of delicious Hersheys semi-sweet chocolate chips.

INGREDIENTS

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg (beaten)
75g butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups low fat milk
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips


METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius.

2. Line the cupcake trays with paper cups.

3. Sift the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, plain flour, ground cinnamon and cocoa powder in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Whisk the sugar, egg, butter and milk in a large bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips and mix well.

5. Fold in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. The mixture will be lumpy.

6. Pour into the paper cups.

7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin