Saturday, June 26, 2010

cornflake cake

When I baked this cake, I filled the bottom of the cake pan with coarsely crushed cornflakes.

The next time that I bake this cake, I intend to try a variation - I will liberally sprinkle the top of the cake batter with the crushed cornflakes instead. I am curious to see which version tastes nicer.

For the cornflakes, I used the type that has mixed fruits and nuts added to the cornflakes. If you intend to use plain cornflakes, I would recommend that you increase the quantity of castor sugar that you add to the cake batter to 80g.

INGREDIENTS

100g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
60g butter (softened)
60g castor sugar
1 egg (lightly beaten)
100ml milk
fruit and nut cornflakes (coarsely crushed)

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Grease and flour an 8" round cake pan. Set aside.

3. Sift the self-raising flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

5. Add the egg and mix well.

6. Add the milk and beat until well combined.

7. Fold in the flour mixture using a wooden spatula and stir until well blended.

8. Line the bottom of the cake pan with the cornflakes.

9. Pour the batter on top of the cornflakes.

10. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin