Wednesday, November 24, 2010

pumpkin butter cake

Lately, I have been getting adventurous in my baking. I will select a "main ingredient" and bake/make bread, cakes, muffins, cookies and/or ice cream using that main ingredient. For example, if Da and I have an entire bunch of overripe bananas at home, I will take the opportunity to bake/make banana bread, banana cake, banana muffins, banana cookies and banana ice cream... or as many as I can until the bananas run out.

The same applied to the pumpkin butter cake that you see in this post. I happened to buy a thick slice of pumpkin from a shop near our home. I have so far only used pumpkin to cook pumpkin soup. This time, I boiled and mashed the pumpkin and used the pumpkin to bake crunchy pumpkin cookies as well as pumpkin butter cake, both of which turned out yummy.

INGREDIENTS

250g self-raising flour
250g butter (softened)
230g castor sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup cooked pumpkin (mashed)
2 tsp vanilla essence
6 tbsp milk


METHOD


1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Grease and flour an 8" round cake pan. Set aside.

3. Sift the self-raising flour in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition.

6. Add the vanilla essence and mix well.

7. Fold in the flour using a wooden spatula.

8. Add the milk and mix until blended and the batter is a dropping consistency.

9. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin