Saturday, July 18, 2009

peanut butter rolls

I was surfing the internet recently and I came across Angie's recipe for peanut butter bread rolls. I was hooked. As my family and friends will tell you, I absolutely love crunchy peanut butter. Even though it may turn off some people, I will spread peanut butter on my bread even though I have already spread jam, butter or kaya (that is, coconut egg jam) on the bread. Yummy.....

I have to date not baked this type of bread rolls before. Even though I like to eat cinnamon rolls, I have so far hesitated to bake them because I was not very sure about the preparation process. However, since my mother has given me a very large bottle of crunchy peanut butter, I decided to plunge into unknown territories and give Angie's recipe a try.

I have made some modifications to Angie's recipe. Here is my version of peanut butter rolls. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

130ml warm water
1 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 egg (lightly beaten)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter (softened)
2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
crunchy peanut butter

METHOD

1. Place all the ingredients (except the bread flour, yeast and peanut butter) in the bucket of the breadmaker machine.

2. Add the bread flour, making sure that the wet ingredients are totally covered.

3. Add the yeast.

4. Place the bucket in the breadmaker machine and set to "dough" cycle. Start the cycle.

5. When the cycle has been completed, turn the dough onto a floured board.

6. Lightly flour your hands and the rolling pin, and roll out the dough into a rectangle of approximately 16" x 12". As you are rolling out the dough, push out the air bubbles that appear.

7. Spread desired amount of peanut butter (in my case, it was a very generous amount... I could not resist the temptation!) over two-thirds of the rectangle. Note: do not spread the peanut butter all the way to the edges of the dough rectangle - leave 1/2" unbuttered all the way around.

8. Fold the buttered part of the rectangle over till it reaches half of the unbuttered third of the rectangle. Fold the remaining unbuttered third of the rectangle top down to cover it.

9. Give the dough a 90 degree turn to the left. Gently roll out the dough into a long strip of approximately 16" x 8" and fold the two shorter ends to meet each other in the middle.

10. Rotate the dough 90 degrees to the left again and roll it out into a rectangle of approximately 16" x 8".

11. Roll up the rectangle along the long edge. Moisten the tail end with water and press to close.

12. Cut the roll into 9 thick sections. Place them with the cross-section side up into a 9" x 9" cake pan that has been lined with baking paper.

13. Cover the cake pan with a damp cloth and leave for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.

14. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin