Friday, July 24, 2009

slow cooker beef stew

Slow cookers are a wonderful invention. They are perfect for cooking stews as the long cooking time ensures that the potatoes, carrots and other hard vegetables (such as celery) are soft while the meat remains tender.

The last time that I cooked a stew, I "slaved over the stove top" and constantly stirred the stew while the stew was simmering. If the stew is the only dish that I am cooking, it is not an issue (other than aching feet when I am done cooking). However, if Da and I are hosting a party at our home, I do not have the time to constantly stir the stew. This is where a slow cooker comes in very handy.

When I cooked beef stew using a slow cooker, one can of chicken broth was sufficient for two soup bowls of stew and I did not have to add any more water. If you are cooking for more people, do increase the proportion accordingly.


Ingredients (serves 2)

1 can chicken broth
200g beef cubes (marinated in some Worcestershire sauce and/or Guinness stout, freshly ground black peppercorn and 1/2 tbsp corn flour)
1 carrot
1 medium potato
8 cherry tomatoes
8 pcs cut young corn
8 button mushrooms
1 stick celery
1/2 cup peas
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 tbsp corn flour mixed with 1/2 cup water (to thicken the stew)


Method

1. Cut the carrot, potato, button mushrooms, celery and onion into chunks.

2. Add the chicken broth and all the other ingredients (except the beef cubes and the corn flour mixture). Cook on HIGH.

3. When the chicken broth has heated up, add the beef cubes. Stir well and switch to AUTO.

4. When the hard ingredients (such as carrot and potato) have softened, add the corn flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Let the stew cook for another 15 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Zue Murphy said...

I love beef stewed.but I don't have slow cooker. Sound like this utensil is very handy and worth to have.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin