Wednesday, August 12, 2009

toffee squares

A thousand thanks to JT (sister of SC) for sending me the recipe for toffee squares via electronic mail. When I read the recipe, the first thought that came to my mind was that it was a very easy recipe. The second thought that came to my mind was that I had never seen Hershey's Chipits Skor toffee bits sold in our supermarkets.

When JT very thoughtfully posted to me 2 packets of Hershey's Chipits Skor toffee bits from Canada, I had to try out the recipe!

Ingredients

225g original Ritz crackers (crushed)
200g Hershey's Chipits Skor toffee bits
1 can condensed milk (about 397g)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.

2. Line an 8" x 8" square baking pan with baking paper. You will need to use more baking paper so that you can pull out the toffee squares using the edges of the baking paper when the toffee squares have cooled down.

3. Crush the Ritz crackers in a bowl.

4. Add the toffee bits and mix well.

5. Add the condensed milk and mix until combined.

6. Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan and level it with a wooden spoon.

7. Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are brown.

8. When cooled, cut into small squares.

Tips

1. If you are unable to locate Hershey's Chipits Skor toffee bits in your local supermarket, I believe that you can substitute with other brands of hard toffee. However, you would need to break up the toffee into small bits.

2. The toffee squares are very rich. As such, although I have sliced them into small squares that you see in the photographs in this blog, after I took the photographs for the blog, I further halved each square.

3. JT's recommendation is to enjoy the toffee squares with a cup of coffee or Milo. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

Zue Murphy said...

Pebbles, I love sweet treats like this toffee square. It is a brilliant idea to dress up the good old taste of rice crispy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin