Friday, August 28, 2009

cranberry and blueberry muffins

I came across a recipe for french blueberry muffins in Aunty Yochana's blog. I have been wanting to try the recipe for some time. However, as I did not have a digital scale (as the recipe requires, for example, 8 g of baking powder), I held back until I bought a digital scale.

Although I had sufficient fresh blueberries in my refrigerator to follow the recipe exactly, I decided to make some variations to the recipe as I had some cranberries in our refrigerator (which I had intended to use to bake bread but I did not need that many cranberries for my bread). Also, I like to add ground cinnamon to cakes and muffins to give them a lovely aroma.

The muffins were indeed very moist. I did not wait till they had fully cooled down before I sliced a muffin into two (for purposes of taking a photograph for my blog) and I savoured every bite of my half a muffin. I saved the other half for Da.

The recipe in this post is as modified by me.

INGREDIENTS

225g plain flour
8g baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
125g butter (softened)
75g eggs (I mixed one egg and one egg yolk and topped up with low fat milk to 75g in total)
150ml low fat milk
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup cranberries

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Line the muffin pan with paper muffin cups. Set aside.

3. Sift the plain flour, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Beat the butter, eggs, milk and lemon zest in a bowl using an electric mixer until combined.

5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until almost blended. Do not overmix.

6. Add the cranberries and blueberries to the batter and stir until just combined. Do not overstir else the blueberries will smash up.

7. Spoon the batter into the muffin pans until 3/4 cup full.

8. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin