Friday, October 23, 2009

raisin carrot cake

When I baked the raisin carrot cake that you see in this post, I had run out of brown sugar. I did, however, have an unopened packet of raw sugar. I have so far not used raw sugar in my baking so I decided to give it a try. If you prefer, you can stick to brown sugar.

I was pleased with the cake that was baked. It was moist and soft. I was tempted to reach for a second slice but I have to watch my waistline. *grin*

INGREDIENTS

2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp ground peanuts
4 eggs
2 cups brown sugar / raw sugar
1 cup peanut oil
2 large raw carrots (grated)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius.

2. Sift the plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and ground peanuts in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs using a hand whisk. Add the sugar and mix well. Add the oil and mix well.

4. Stir in the grated carrots, raisins and chopped almonds.

5. Fold in the flour mixture and mix until blended.

6. Pour the batter into a 9" springform pan that has been greased and floured.

7. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

1 comment:

JT said...

Hi Pebbles, Yuuummy!! How abt u try it with unsweetened applesauce instead of the oil n let me know if it works so I can also try the recipe. :p

Blog Widget by LinkWithin