Friday, July 10, 2009

onion and cheese bread

When I baked this loaf of onion and cheese bread, I was a little apprehensive about how the bread would taste. I had planned to add shredded cheddar cheese to the dough. However, as I was a little tight for timing, I used grated parmesan cheese (we can buy them in the supermarkets over here) instead of shredding the cheddar cheese myself.

I find that grated parmesan cheese tends to be more salty and as such, I do not like to sprinkle it over my pasta, pizza, etc even though it is a popular condiment. I use it in my cooking / baking instead.

As it turned out, the taste of the cheese in the bread was not overpowering. The chopped onions also blended well into the dough.

To add some oomph to your slice of bread, you may want to spread some garlic spread onto the slice and toast it in the oven at 170 degrees celsius for 10 minutes. Delicious!


Ingredients

1 1/4 cups water
2 tbsp dry milk powder
1 tbsp castor sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp chopped red onion
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 1/4 cups bread flour
2 tsp instant dry yeast


Method

1. Place all the ingredients (except the bread flour and the yeast) in the bucket of the breadmaker machine.

2. Add the bread flour, making sure that the wet ingredients are totally covered.

3. Add the yeast.

4. Place the bucket in the breadmaker machine and set to "dough" cycle. Start the cycle.

5. When the dough cycle has been completed, turn the dough onto a floured board. Using floured hands, knead the dough about 5 times.

6. Place the dough in a loaf pan that has been greased and lined with baking paper.

7. Cover the loaf pan with a damp cloth and leave for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.

8. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees celsius for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin