Tuesday, September 1, 2009

peanut butter and oat muffins

When I opened my cupboard door and saw two bottles of chunky peanut butter, I decided that I better get round to consuming them. If you keep a bottle of peanut butter for too long, the smell and taste of oil will soon emit and the peanut butter would end up tasting awful.

It was a leap of faith when I baked these muffins. I did not have in hand any recipe for peanut butter muffins. It was a case of trial and error. As such, I decided that I would add some instant oats to balance the sweetness in the peanut butter.

I was concerned that I would end up with "peanut butter cookies" but my worries were unfounded. The muffins were soft. The others whom I shared the muffins were fine with the level of moistness of the muffins but I personally would have liked the muffins to be more moist. I shall have to place some thought as to how to tweak this recipe.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder100g butter (softened)
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup instant oats
1 cup chunky peanut butter

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Line the muffin pan with paper muffin cups. Set aside.

3. Sift the self-raising flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix using an electric mixer until smooth.

4. Spoon the mixture into the paper muffin cups until 3/4 full.

5. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin