Wednesday, January 6, 2010

orange cookies

I have my friend SC to thank for the photographs of orange cookies that you see in this post. She saw a recipe for orange cookies in an online newsletter that she received and she copied and forwarded the recipe to her sister (JT) and me.

Before I baked the orange cookies, I had a look through the recipe and I decided to make some modifications. For example, the recipe requires sugar to be sprinkled on top of the cookies before baking. Given the fact that we can all do with a little less sugar and a little less salt in our diet, I decided to omit the sugar topping. I also made some other modifications to the ingredients and the steps. The recipe in this post is the revised version by me.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup plain flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tbsp ground almond
100g butter (softened)
1/2 cup castor sugar
zest of 1 orange
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius.

2. Sift the plain flour, salt, baking powder, ground cinnamon and ground almond in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the orange juice and mix until just combined.

4. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well.

5. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and let it chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

6. When chilled, roll out the dough on a floured board using a floured rolling pin. Cut using a cookie cutter and place 1" apart on a baking tray lined with baking paper.

7. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.

8. Let the cookies cool thoroughly before storing them in an air-tight container.

TIPS

1. It would be preferable to use freshly squeezed orange juice instead of those from a carton. Freshly squeezed orange juice makes the cookies more aromatic. In my case, after I grated the zest of the orange, I sliced the orange and squeezed out the juice. I used 1 tbsp of the juice to make the cookies and I drank the rest of the orange juice (which was very refreshing, by the way!).

2. The dough should be rolled out to about 1/3" to 1/2" thick. Any thinner than that and the cookies tend to burn easily in the oven.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin