Friday, January 22, 2010

ginger cookies

I came across a recipe for ginger cookies in Cat can Cook's blog. I have in the past ever baked soft chewy ginger cookies. The recipe in Cat can Cook's blog seemed to yield crunchy cookies (based on what I could see of the ingredients). I prefer crunchy cookies to soft chewy cookies.

Whenever there is a recipe that I intend to try, I would usually review the recipe and decide whether to make any revisions to the recipe. In this case, I made the following changes to the recipe:-

(a) I used butter instead of Crisco. People will often tell you that nothing beats butter when it comes to baking delicious cakes and cookies. I tend to agree.

(b) The type of white sugar and flour were not specified in the recipe. I decided to add castor sugar (which is often used in baking) and plain flour. It did occur to me whether to substitute some of the plain flour with corn flour (to make the cookie more crunchy) but I decided to do a "taste-test" first.

(c) Over here, one can find Molasses in dry form, that is, like very dark and packed sugar. I added Molasses in this form when I baked the ginger cookies.

The verdict? The ginger cookies were delicious!


INGREDIENTS

2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup molasses sugar
1 egg (beaten)

METHOD

1. Sift the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda , salt, ground cinnamon and ground ginger in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the castor sugar and molasses sugar. Add the egg and mix well.

3. Fold in the flour mixture and mix thoroughly.

4. Chill in the refrigerator for one hour. Thereafter, shape the dough and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in an oven preheated to 190 degrees for 10 minutes.

5. Let the cookies cool thoroughly before storing them in an air-right container.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin