Wednesday, June 30, 2010

peanut butter cake

When I posted a photograph of this peanut butter cake in my facebook, I could not resist adding a comment that the cake is "super moist".

Even as I sliced the cake, I could tell by how easily the knife glided through the cake that the cake was soft and moist.

I love using peanut butter in my baking. I have baked peanut butter bread, peanut butter cookies and peanut butter muffins. I have now added peanut butter cake to my repertoire.

For this cake, I added crunchy peanut butter. That way, when you bite into the cake, you will also taste the crunchy bits of the peanuts.

The batter rises a lot during the baking process. As such, it would be advisable to use a cake pan that is higher, such as a bundt pan.

This cake complements a hot mug of coffee or tea. Bon appetit!

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups plain flour
2/3 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
250g butter (softened)
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup water

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.

2. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.

3. Sift the plain flour, self-raising flour and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

5. Add the crunchy peanut butter and mix until blended.

6. Add the honey and water and mix well.

7. Fold in the flour mixture using a wooden spatula and stir until blended.

8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted near the middle of the cake comes out clean.

9. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes in the cake pan before turning the cake onto a wire rack to cool thoroughly.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin