Sunday, April 18, 2010

sardine buns

When I posted in my facebook a photograph of the sardine buns that I baked, one of my friends commented that the buns look like those that his mother used to bake. *grin*

I used my breadmaker to prepare the dough. JT once asked me whether the bread dough can be prepared by hand. It can but I find it convenient to use my breadmaker. Having said this, I prefer to finish the baking process in my convection oven instead of in my breadmaker. This is because I find that bread made from start to finish using breadmaker tends to harden faster than bread whose dough is made using the breadmaker but baked in the oven.


INGREDIENTS (bread)

1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup butter (softened)
1/8 cup fine sugar
1/2 cup warm milk
3/4 tsp fine salt
2 cups bread flour
1 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast


INGREDIENTS (filling)

canned sardine - you will not need the entire can of sardine
1 small red onion (chopped)
1 small red chilli (deseeded and chopped)
juice of 1 small lime

METHOD

1. Place the egg, butter, fine sugar, warm milk and salt in the bucket of the breadmaker machine.

2. Add the bread flour, making sure that the wet ingredients are totally covered.

3. Add the yeast.

4. Place the bucket in the breadmaker machine and set to "dough" cycle. Start the cycle.

5. When the cycle has been completed, turn the dough onto a floured board. Using floured hands, knead the dough for 5 minutes.

6. Separate the dough into 12 portions and shape into a ball. Place each portion on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper, cover with a dry cloth and leave for 5 minutes.

7. Mix the filling together in a bowl. Set aside.

8. Roll out each portion and add the filling. Join the edges of the dough together and shape into a ball. Place each ball onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.

9. Cover the baking tray with a dry cloth and leave for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.

10. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin