Friday, November 27, 2009

apricot and oat muffins

Oats are known to have health benefits. Studies have found that oats can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease, when combined with a low-fat diet. They have a high content of complex carbohydrates and water-soluble fiber, which helps to keep one full so that one will not snack in between meals.

I personally find it difficult to eat a bowl of hot oatmeal although I have no problems adding a few spoonfuls of rolled oat to my cereal or using oats in my baking (eg. to bake Nestum and oat cookies).

I bought 4 non-stick muffin pans this year and I have developed a muffin craze nowadays. As I had not gone grocery shopping in the past week, I did not have many ingredients at home. I opened the refrigerator and saw two eggs and a few pieces of dried apricots left over from the box of dried apricots that I was given shortly before Chinese New Year this year (the bulk of which I used to bake apricot cookies to bring to my grandmother's home in Muar, Malaysia for Chinese New Year). I checked the larder and saw a tin of instant Quaker Oats which was almost finished. I decided that I might as well use the dried apricot and Quaker Oats to bake muffins.

Ingredients

1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup ground almond
1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricot
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
60g butter (softened)
1 egg
additional rolled oats (topping)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Line two 12-hole muffin pans with muffin paper cups.

3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.

4. Add the rolled oats, ground almond and chopped apricots. Mix well.

5. Make a well in the centre of the ingredients in the bowl.

6. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, honey, butter and egg. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix well using a spatula. The mixture will be lumpy.

7. Spoon the mixture into the muffin paper cups until the paper cups are 2/3 full.

8. Sprinkle the top with rolled oats.

9. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.

10. Let the muffins cool before you store them in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin