Wednesday, April 28, 2010

oat and pumpkin seed cookies

I baked these cookies for the mother of my friend, GP. Auntie N likes oat cookies.

Da's niece, MAT happened to have a stay-over at our place for a baking session. When she was done with her baking and she was using our computer, I told her that it was my turn and I was going to create a new recipe. She wished me luck.

In less than half an hour, the smell of oat and pumpkin seed cookies baking in the oven waffled throughout our apartment. I like experimenting with creating recipes and it is very satisfying when the trial and error session is a success.

Do I have my share of failures in baking? Yes, I do. However, I learn from the failure and improve the next time. This is why when MAT started taking an interest in coming to our home during weekends for baking sessions, I was prepared to let there be failures in her initial attempts at baking because I did not intend to hold her hands at every stage of the baking process. I intended to guide her but to let her handle the entire baking process herself, from the preparation (including understanding of the recipe) to the cleaning up. I am happy to say that MAT has been improving with time and I give her full credit for her positive attitude and her willingness to learn.

INGREDIENTS

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup corn flour
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup ground peanuts
1 cup instant oats
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds


METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Sift the bicarbonate of soda, corn flour, plain flour and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

4. Add the vanilla essence and mix well.

5. Add the ground peanuts, instant oats and pumpkin seeds and mix well.

6. Fold in the flour mixture using a wooden spatula and mix until blended.

7. Drop by teaspoonful onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.

8. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.

9. Let the cookies cool thoroughly on a wire rack before storing the cookies in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin