Sunday, December 13, 2009

pork rib in char siew sauce

I am not much of a pork eater. It is not a question about me being health-conscious. There is something about the taste of pork that does not quite agree with my palate. As a result, the pork that I do eat is limited to:-



(c) barbequed pork ribs (like those you can find at Tony Roma's)

If you have noticed that items (a) to (c) seem to have something in common, you are right. It has occurred to me that I prefer pork that is barbequed. Beyond this, I do not fancy eating pork.

Several years ago, Da and I bought a 1/2 set of AMC pots and pans. Even though it was a 1/2 set, it comprised about 6 pots and pans with lids, steamer, etc. The beauty of AMC cookware is that it uses the concept of convection / condensation and cooking is a breeze. It is especially useful for braising food. To my regret, more often than not, I use it like conventional cookware. There are many types of food that can be cooked using AMC cookware. I heard from SY that one can even make cheesecake using AMC cookware. My friend SC uses AMC cookware to make her own pizza. This brand of cookware is certainly very versatile.

When I first bought my set of AMC cookware, my AMC supplier came to my home to demonstrate how to use the cookware. One can make delicious char siew or pork ribs using AMC cookware. Do not fret if you do not have any AMC cookware - you can bake the char siew or pork ribs in a conventional oven as well.

Ingredients
500 g pork ribs
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp cooking sherry
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)
1 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
pinch of five spice powder
2 cloves of garlic (peeled but not crushed)
2 bay leaves
salt
pepper

Method

1. Wash the pork ribs thoroughly. Remove the fat if you prefer; otherwise, leave the fat on.

2. Mix all the other ingredients together. Add the pork ribs and let the ribs marinate overnight.

3. Cook the marinated ribs in a pot. When the dish is boiling, reduce the heat and leave to simmer until the ribs are soft, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees celsius for 25 minutes and thereafter, turn the ribs over and bake for another 25 minutes.


Tips

1. Instead of using pork ribs, you can substitute with pork loin, thereby making char siew. Cut the pork loin into strips and add the marinade.

2. The pork ribs / char siew is best eaten with steamed white rice.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin