Tuesday, August 18, 2009

chickpeas flat bread

When my mother, Da and I watched an episode of "The Naked Chef" on the Asian Food Channel recently, I was intrigued when Jaime Oliver used chickpeas, ground coriander and ground cumin to bake some flat bread.

I was enjoying the programme so much that I did not take note of all the ingredients nor the proportion of the ingredients. As such, when I bought a can of chickpeas, a bottle of ground coriander and a bottle of ground cumin from the supermarket on the spur of the moment recently, I wondered whether I would be able to "pull this off".

As the saying goes, "nothing ventured, nothing gained". With some trial and error, I presented to my family some chickpeas flat bread that I baked. Although my family ate the bread with some fried bacon and fried egg, I believe that the bread would complement curry or dhal as well. Do give my recipe a try!

INGREDIENTS

1 cup water
3 tbsp butter
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup chickpeas (washed, drained and lightly pressed)
1 tbsp castor sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups bread flour
2 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast

METHOD

1. Place all the ingredients (except the bread flour and yeast) in the bucket of the breadmaker machine.

2. Add the bread flour, making sure that the wet ingredients are totally covered.

3. Add the yeast.

4. Place the bucket in the breadmaker machine and set to "dough" cycle. Start the cycle.

5. When the cycle has been completed, turn the dough onto a floured board. Separate the dough into 20 portions and shape each portion into a ball. Cover with a cloth and leave for 10 minutes.

6. Roll out each portion into the desired shape and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.

7. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees celsius for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin