Wednesday, August 25, 2010

chocolate cheese and walnut cake

The recipe in this post was adapted from a recipe that I came across in The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook. The original recipe provided for plain flour and self-raising flour. However, I did not have enough self-raising flour and I wanted to save the plain flour to bake some cookies. As such, I modified the recipe and used cake flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder instead. Furthermore, bearing in mind my mother's request that I cut down on the sugar content in my baking, I modified the recipe such that I only added brown sugar. The original recipe required castor sugar and brown sugar.

When I removed the bundt pan from the oven and I pressed my finger gently on the top of the cake, I was very excited when the cake sprang back easily. It meant that the cake was soft and moist. Yippee!

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cup cake flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa powder
90g butter (softened)
185g Philadelphia cream cheese (softened)
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup low fat milk

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.

3. Sift the cake flour, self-raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon and cocoa powder in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Beat the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the walnuts and mix well using a wooden spatula.

5. Fold in 1/2 of the flour mixture and add 1/2 of the milk. Mix well using a wooden spatula. Repeat with the remaining 1/2 of the flour mixture and remaining 1/2 of the milk.

6. Pour the batter onto the prepared bundt pan.

7. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted near the middle of the bundt pan comes out clean.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin