Saturday, August 1, 2009

honey wheat bread

When I made a loaf of honey wheat bread, I was concerned initially because the dough was a little sticky and I had problems kneading the dough by hand after I removed the dough from the bread maker machine. In the end, instead of kneading the dough by hand, I did what my friend SC does when she makes home-made pizza - I lightly floured my hand, pulled up the entire dough, then slammed it down onto a floured board. I repeated the process a few times before I placed the dough in a loaf pan and left the dough to rise further.

I have made several types of bread to date but this is the first time that I have ended up with such a beautiful loaf. It looks like the shape of bread made using a bread maker, that is, loaf-shape.

The crust of the bread was very hard when I first removed the bread from the oven. However, when the bread cooled down, the crust softened. The insides of the bread were also extremely soft. Even Da (who is not a fussy eater) enjoyed eating the bread and remarked about the softness of the bread.


Ingredients

1 1/4 cups water
3 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp yeast


Method

1. Grease a 8" x 5" loaf pan and line with baking paper.

2. Place the water, honey, salt and butter in the bucket of the bread maker machine.

3. Add the bread flour and whole wheat flour, making sure that the liquid is entirely covered.

4. Add the yeast.

5. Place the bucket in the bread maker machine and select "dough" function. Start the cycle.

6. When the dough cycle has been completed, transfer the dough to a floured board. Lightly flour your hands and knead the dough for 5 minutes.

7. Place the dough in the prepared pan. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 1 hour for the dough to rise further.

8. Bake in an oven preheated to 200 degrees celsius for 40 minutes.

9. Let the bread cool thoroughly before slicing.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin