Saturday, October 3, 2009

seaweed cookies

I have a friend, Hamtaro, whose family is vegetarian. She is interested in learning how to bake cakes, cookies, etc. I have been placing some thought to creating vegetarian cakes and cookies using recipes that she can follow easily.

The seaweed cookies that you see in the photographs in this post are a result of an experiment that I carried out while trying to create vegetarian recipes for Hamtaro. As it turned out, the cookies ended up being the "melt in the mouth" type of cookies and I enjoyed eating them.

Hi Hamtaro, I think you can give this recipe a try. It does not require the inclusion of eggs and it uses margarine instead of butter, so it should work for you. For my non-vegetarian friends, you may like to substitute the margarine with butter instead. I personally prefer to bake cakes and cookies using butter instead of margarine as I find the cakes and cookies more flavourful.

For the seaweed, I used dried seasoned seaweed. If you find this type of seaweed too salty, then you may want to substitute with non-seasoned seaweed and increase the amount of salt from 3/4 tsp to 1 tsp.

INGREDIENTS

250g margarine (or butter, if you prefer)
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup icing sugar
9g dried seasoned seaweed (blended in an electric mixer / blender until fine)
300g cornflour
80g plain flour

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.

2. Sift the cornflour and plain flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

3. Cream the margarine / butter, salt and icing sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the blended seaweed and mix well.

4. Fold in the flour mixture and mix until it forms a dough.

5. Shape the cookies and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.

6. Bake for 25 minutes.

7. Let the cookies cool thoroughly before storing them in an air-tight container.

TIPS

1. The cookies are not the crunchy type of cookies. They are the type that melt in your mouth.

2. When shaping the cookies, I scoop 1 tsp of dough onto my hand and roll the dough into a ball. I then press the dough down lightly using the palm of my hand before I place the dough onto the baking tray.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin